PROJECT: boredom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks a Million

Go down

Thanks a Million Empty Thanks a Million

Post by amanda Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:53 pm

It's probably safe to say that The L Word's most contentious storyline - aside from the breakup that still has everyone taking sides - is the death of Dana Fairbanks. Some of you praised the show for tackling the tough topic of breast cancer, others were frustrated that Dana died rather than surviving and thriving post-diagnosis. Our Forums are filled with hundreds of posts lamenting Dana's loss, YouTube hosts dozens and dozens of tribute videos to Danish (Dana & Alice) as a couple. But whatever your feelings are on the breast cancer storyline that ended with Dana's death, there's now a bigger silver lining to that story than anyone could have anticipated.

An anonymous donor has given a $1 million dollar gift to the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation in honor of Erin Daniels and Leisha Hailey, for the realism and truth they brought to their roles on The L Word. The money will be used to establish The Erin Daniels and Leisha Hailey Fund for Breast Cancer, and in addition to the $1 million dollar donation, the anonymous donor intends to match dollar for dollar every donation made to the fund.

Thanks a Million Danaalicedsl

This is the largest private donation ever made to the Foundation, and the entire fund will be used to advance their innovative research program that aims to end breast cancer in our lifetime.

“The donor, who has chosen to remain anonymous, wanted to honor the actresses for their compelling portrayal of a couple dealing with the tragic consequence of breast cancer,” says the Foundation’s Executive Director Naz Sykes. “Ultimately, she decided the best way to do that was to give a generous donation that would help us advance the work we are doing to end breast cancer in our lifetime.”

You probably remember Dr. Susan Love from her guest spot on the show after Dana's diagnosis - the anonymous donor was intrigued by the conversation Dr. Love had with Dana and Alice about her desire to find a way to eradicate breast cells that were just thinking about becoming cancer before they could do any harm.

“After I was on the show, the donor visited our website and began to educate herself about the intraductal research we are doing,” said Dr. Love. “In our work, she saw the potential for a cure, and she recognized the difference a significant donation could make. We’re honored that she has decided to make this donation and to establish this fund. It will make research we could only dream of doing over the next few years a reality.”

Thanks a Million Erindanielsdsl

In response to the donation, Erin Daniels says, "There are very few times in a woman’s life where she feels she’s been lucky enough to be part of something that will change lives. This is one of those times. I am overwhelmed that my portrayal of Dana’s story has inspired such an act of kindness and generosity, and elated to be a part of it. I am thankful that so many women will be given hope due to Dr. Love’s program.”

Leisha Hailey responds, “It is an honor that our breast cancer story line touched someone in such a tremendous way that she so generously gave to such a tragic illness. I am awed by her gesture and it inspires me to act with my conscience and give of myself.”

Here's something else to be awed by: Currently, more than 250,000 women 40 and under in the U.S. are living with breast cancer and more than 11,100 young women are diagnosed with the disease each year. Although most of these women will survive their breast cancer diagnosis, breast cancer remains the leading cause of death in women ages 15 to 54.

Visit www.dslrf.org to learn more about the work of the foundation, or to make a donation to The Erin Daniels and Leisha Hailey Fund.
amanda
amanda
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-11-08

http://www.myspace.com/amandalpearson

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum